Thursday 15 October 2015

Fan blade Dresden Plate - part 1



 I really enjoyed working at the Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace last week, with Lady Sew and Sew. Of course I had to buy some fabric for some new projects - and this has caused a slight re-arrangement of my planned blogs!! - (I just had to use some new fabric this week so I will come back to the blog I wrote last week in a week or so - sorry I've digressed a little!)
So this week I have used the fan blade to create a Dresden plate with points, rather than curves -


 
The fabric that distracted me is from one of the Kaffe Fassett ranges and it is different coloured stripes down the length of the fabric so that you have a bit of several colours across the width of the fabric.
So I thought it would be fun to make some flowers using this fabric - so I folded the fabric so that the stripes would lie across the fan blade, and cut, then I moved the fabric so that I could cut a different colour and so on to give me a mix of pink, lilac, and green blades. (This is not an economical use of the fabric - but I can cut out hexagons, or triangles from the remaining fabric so it won't be wasted)
To make the points fold a blade in half, right sides together, down the length and stitch across the widest curve -
and then turn the right side out and press the edge to make the point -
 
Stitch 12 blades to create a plate -

for each complete plate you will need 60cm x 12cm, and the completed plate measures 18cm across
So far I have made 5 plates - each one different - aren't they pretty!
I am going to make a few more - and then next week I will show you an easy way to make a lovely, easy quilt with them.
Time for a cup of tea and then a bit more sewing I think.
Have fun this week.
Angela


 

No comments:

Post a Comment