Friday 30 October 2015

Creating Curves - part 3






HI, Trudi here from Quilting Prolifically, back from the excitement of Quilt Market in Houston.

So I finally got my quilt on with my quilt top.  I've named this one 'curves not curves'.

I started off with these dies:

659838 Bigz Square 4 1/2"
659832 Bigz Half Square Triangle 4 1/2" pieced
659853 Bigz L Isosceles & Right 4 1/2" H  
657611 Bigz Half Square Triangle 2 1/2" pieced


and a plan.

I made 2 different blocks, you can see them in this post.

I made my top completely from scraps, so the Sizzix Big Shot Plus was great for cutting the shapes.

The next dilemma was how to quilt it.  I always had a plan to quilt curves into the piecing to accentuate the curve and take your eye away from those straight lines of the piecing.

So I added curved lines in the orange peel section, extending them all the way to the half square triangles and filled the curves with feathers.




In the center curved square area I used curved cross hatching to highlight the curves even more.











I am really pleased with the overall effect the quilting has had on changing the straight lines into curves.


 Its funny what your eye will pick up and see, but choose to ignore.



I also extended the quilting out into the borders to continue the curved story of this quilt.  I think it worked well.


So next time you fancy doing a curved quilt, but don't fancy dealing with the curves, try piecing in straight lines, but quilting the curves in to create the curved effect.

 I hope you'll come back next month to see what inspiration has struck!

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I do not even sew , let alone quilt, but I love quilts. The colors and design of this quilt are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trudi, this is a truly beautiful quilt! The quilt is also just so nice, how could it not be? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is ingenious and absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete